Wednesday 24 December 2008

york and albany

Well chronic bloggers-block has given way to pre-Christmas madness but here I am writing a few words about the strange experience that was the York and Albany. My block came out of an evening spent wondering how on earth the last century of (hard won) female emancipation had seemingly failed to touch any of the women in this restaurant. The uniform, regardless of age, was long blond hair, pancake make up, impossibly low cut obscenely short dresses and ridiculously high heels. I was so mesmerised by the stream of women tottering around that I failed to give the culinary dimension my full attention. I came away thinking, thank god my great companion, Ju, with whom I shared a most delicious treacle sponge pudding, is a woman after my own heart, for whom the height of stylishness, is a freshly cropped head of hair, a good trouser suit and a pair of black leather loafers.

Ok, so my cocktail was truly wonderful (York and Albany Champagne Cocktail) infused with lemon vodka and cinnamon. my starter of mackerel and beetroot, good but uninspired, and my main course, fish stew, was deep, hearty and thoroughly competent.

The food was on the whole rather good and is probably deserving of a 7 out of 10, but I find myself wanting to penalise the place and deduct a point for the poor service and the poor taste of our fellow female diners.

No comments: