Tuesday 17 March 2009

Daring and Divine !

My hazelnut bisque with artichoke ice cream and salted scallops provided an impressive debut to this top class meal; the contrast between the warm and nutty foam and the cold was a triumph as was the addition of those fishy discs of sweet-saltiness. To follow; a generous portion of perfectly pink and tender fillet of Herdwick lamb shared the plate with a "barigoule" (stewed in wine/water) of baby artichokes and delicately flavoured bread sauce. I am of the opinion that you can never eat enough artichokes ! This course was another lovely combination of textures, flavours and colours. As indeed was my dessert which consisted of blood orange sorbet, caramelized carrot and white chocolate mousse all artfully arranged in low pyramid style; sharp and sweet and chewy all in one go. Thank goodness I followed the suggestion in the menu of a glass of sweet wine from "Blewitt Springs" to go with this divine conconction; the combination sent me straight to paradise !
Fig is a snug and intimate place. In spite of limited space, I didn't feel cramped or overlooked. The service was a bit awkward at times. With dishes like those, I felt the staff should have been proudly announcing them as they placed them before us. The food here is a real gastronomic treat. Looking into the kitchen, as I could from my seat, everyone was working calmly but non-stop in what seemed to be a very well-run operation. Marks: 8.5/10 !

No comments: