Sunday 5 October 2008

The Waterhouse

Hard chairs and piped music (and it is even louder in the toilets) made for an unpromising start though the arrival of Su-To eclipsed such negative thoughts. I was cheered up further by the prospect of mackerel on the menu. Sadly when I ordered it, I was told that they didn't have any which was disappointing and annoying. Why hadn't she said so in the first place ? I was soothed by the beetroot and ricotta/feta stack with honey dressing as I adore this vegetable and it always makes me think of my mother who was addicted to it during her pregnancy with me. Anyway, I digress. My rabbit, prune and borlotti bean casserole was most enjoyable; good deep flavour, nice textures and generous portion of meat. Sadly, the recommended Pinot Noir was a barely adequate companion. Pudding was a great disappointment; a sad and soggy "saffron poached pear" sat on a gigantic thick round of ship's biscuit. This disc of sandy inedibility was accompanied by a small glass of pear sorbet covered in a sickly apricot goo. A disaster of imagination and execution.
All in all an uncomfortable place run by people who don't really care about food for people who are not interested in what they eat.
3/10 I say !

No comments: